Tuesday, October 16, 2007

So promising...

After watching a number of Adobe Contribute tutorials at lynda.com I realized that Contribute would be perfect for a number of my clients.

My first step was to set it up with my personal site so I could take it for a spin.

During the site configuration everything looked perfect. Contribute connected via FTP and I could see the files on my site.

In the next step Contribute uploads a file (via FTP) and tries to read it (via HTTP). Now the problems started!

There is one folder name you never should use on an Apache server, "TMP". All attempts to access that folder through HTTP will be blocked by Apache's mod_security rules. Guess what Contribute names its test folder?

I have no idea of why the Adobe engineers chose that name, I guess they could have just generated some random letters instead. It's a shame since Contribute seems to be an excellent application, much better than Co-Author!


No comments: